Hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT) is one of several advanced wound care modalities provided at our Advanced Wound Center. HBOT is used adjunctively with other procedures, such as revascularization, or as a primary treatment when other options fail.
HBOT is a medical treatment in which a patient breathes 100% oxygen while underpressure in a hyperbaric chamber.
Breathing 100 percent oxygen under pressure dissolves more oxygen in your blood, which is then delivered to those areas that are having trouble healing due to the lack of oxygen in the surrounding tissues.
What conditions benefit from HBOT?
- A person with diabetes and a wound that is slow to heal or is not healing
- Someone with damaged tissue from radiation therapy
- Someone with a skin graft who has a questionable blood supply
- Certain infections of the bone and/or skin
- Anyone with a wound that has shown no improvement in four weeks